This story was originally published on the CPWF-Mekong website.
CPWF launches the most accurate map to date of dams and reservoirs in the Mekong.
The CPWF-Mekong dams database provides the locations of every known commissioned, under construction and planned dam in the Mekong River Basin.
It should be noted that there is a mismatch between this map as seen in ‘Map’ and as seen in ‘Satellite’. Dam locations have been established in ‘Satellite’, and are correct as far as is known. Under the ‘Map’ view, dams are occasionally located on land, which is, of course, incorrect.
‘Unknown’ dams are mainly dams and reservoirs constructed for use in irrigation and/or water supply. We continue to determine names and technical specifications.
The accuracy of many of these data is often highly uncertain, not least because data for planned dams may change. Neither CPWF-Mekong nor any of its partners are responsible for the accuracy of these data.
If you notice any errors in the data, or have new information to add, please contact us.
- Chinese dams: International Rivers
- All dams commissioned or under construction: visual identification using Google Earth.
- Data on mainstream dams: ICEM, 2010. Strategic Environmental Impact Assessment for Hydropower on the Mekong Mainstream. Final Report, prepared for the Mekong River Commission. Hanoi, International Center for Environmental Management and Mekong River Commission.
- Planned/under construction dams in the 3S basin (i.e. Sekong, Sesan and Sre Pok): ADB RETA website previously available at reta.3sbasin.org. Site apparently closed.
- Mekong Secretariat, 1970. Indicative Basin Plan Report. Mekong Committee, Bangkok.
- Mekong Secretariat, 1988. Perspectives for Mekong development; revised indicative plan (1987) for the development of land, water and related resources of the lower Mekong basin. Bangkok, Interim Mekong Committee.
For .jpg files of the map, please click on the following links:
MRB — whole Mekong River Basin
MRB 1 — southern portion of the Mekong River Basin
MRB 2 — middle portion of the Mekong River Basin
MRB 3 — upper portion of the Mekong River Basin
MRB 4 — zoomed in picture of northern Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, and southern Yunnan
MRB 5 — zoomed in picture of central to southern Laos and Vietnam, and Cambodia
This initiative has been funded by: